You can ride a bike in any shoe, but if you want to raise your level qualitatively, the first thing to do is buy Specialized Sport MTB Shoes.
These shoes have at least one important advantage – circular pedaling. You can not only push down on the pedal but also pull it up from below.
The muscles’ load is evenly distributed, the knees do not suffer, and the power increases.
Cycling shoes keep your foot tight. This improves the control of the bike, makes it easier to pass obstacles and pedaling uphill.
So ordinary shoes or sneakers are not enough for you to pedal. After hearing about the effectiveness and benefits of mountain biking shoes, you may be thinking about buying them.
However, the choice of cycling shoes, especially if this is done for the first time, in practice is not an easy task.
This article will help you to know how to choose Specialized Sport MTB Shoes for you. We have also selected 5 best models to narrow down your search.
How to choose Specialized Sport MTB Shoes Online?
High quality and properly selected cycling shoes will serve you for years, so choose them by following these tips:
The more expensive MTB Shoes are lighter and tougher. The rigidity of the inner lining changes depending on the level of the shoes.
The higher the level of the shoe, the less padding is inside.
Top cyclists use shoes that have almost no padding, but they fit perfectly on foot. The principle is simple: the less soft padding, the lighter the shoes and the better the pedal contact.
Cycling shoe color
The color of cycling shoes only affects aesthetic perception. In whites, of course, it will not be so hot in summer, and in black ones, less pollution is visible, but in this matter, the buyer is free to decide for himself/herself.
Pedaling efficiency will not be affected if the shoes are not black but orange.
The type of closure on MTB Shoes is usually independent of the type of riding. Choose from personal preference.
- Laces are a classic. They do not weigh down the shoes and easily adapt to any shape of the foot. However, you cannot adjust them on the fly.
- Velcro is an easy to use option. Easy to zip and unfasten, adjust on the go, but tricky to fit exactly in the foot.
- The ratchet clasp is a tight buckle and strap clasp. It locks the foot tightly, and you can easily adjust them with one hand.
- BOA clasp with a line or steel cable. It is a reliable system that firmly fixes the foot and is easily adjusted with one hand. Mounted on high-end professional cycling shoes.
Choose the right size
Do not select cycling shoes that are the same size as your regular casual shoes. See the manufacturer’s dimensional chart and recommendations for selection.
Depending on the manufacturer, American or European sizes are indicated. If you plan to ride in the cool season, choose a size with a margin, but the foot should be tightly fixed.
Top 5 Specialized Sport MTB Shoe
We have tested many shoes and selected the following for our readers:
1. YuanRoad Men's Women's Cycling Shoes Road Bike Mountain Bike SPD/SPD-SL Compatible Peloton Shoes
YuanRoad shoes are a comfortable option for mountain biking, road rides, intense indoor and outdoor cycling, and training sessions.
The top part of the shoes is designed with a portable rotating dial which is easy to take off and put on.
Both male and female riders can use them, and they are compatible with 2 and 3 bolt pedal systems, including SPD-R&SPD-SL, SPD, Look Delta, and exercise bike.
- Dimensions: 1 x 0.1 x 0.1 inches; 1.65 Pounds
- Material: TPU+Nylon
- Breathability and Stability
The main goal of the manufacturer is to improve control and stability without negatively impact comfort.
It’s tough enough to cover base kilometers and also suppresses the noise.
- Accurate and quick BOA dial adjustment
- Great feel at the pedals
- Very light shoe with a super Synthetic sole
- The ventilation holes help your socks dry faster
- Not ideal for long hike-a-bike sections
YuanRoad is the best option for new riders who are looking for their first clipless shoes.
Experienced riders who don’t want to invest a high amount can also buy these shoes.
The Velcro and dial combination is a nice feature at this price ($58.95 – $65.95 depending on the size and color).
2. Five Ten Men's Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoes (Clipless)
Five Ten is a dominant brand in the Specialized Sport MTB Shoe The company has designed the Men’s Kestrel Lace model to provide ultimate performance and give you all the technical advantages needed for comfortable mountain biking.
- Dimensions: 9.8 x 7 x 4 inches; 12 Ounces
- Perforated toe vamp and mesh tongue
- stitched C4 rubber outsole
- Non-slip heel cup
- Shock absorption
Men’s Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoes are compatible with all types of SPD pedal. The stitched C4 rubber outsole provides the perfect grip while remaining stiff to transfer power.
Though the sole is stiff and sticks to your pedal like glue, yet it has enough flex for walking.
Moreover, this version of the Five Ten shoe provides protection around the heel and on the toe.
- Casual style with a grippy sole
- Flexible enough to walk and stiff enough to ride
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Compatible with all types of pedal
- Mesh and vamp tongue provides extra breathability
- They are not waterproof.
- Not suitable for wide feet
The inner bootie of the shoe provides a stable fit and stops stones and dirt from getting into the shoes. The price is neither too high nor too low; they come among medium-range shoes.
So, whether you ride a road or mountain, this shoe is an excellent option to consider
3. Tommaso Montagna 100 Men's Mountain Bike MTB Cycling Shoe Compatible with SPD Cleats Black
This model contains three straps at the top of the boot. You just tighten them toget the desired fitting.
These straps are easy to use and keep the shoe on your feet well; you can easily tighten one of them too much.
They are equipped with three Velcro straps, the upper one being very wide and designed to distribute pressure evenly throughout your foot.
- Dimensions: 12.8 x 9.8 x 4.7 inches; 2.2 Pounds
- 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- 100% Fit Guarantee
- Compatible with SPD (2-bolt) and Peloton Bike
The fiberglass reinforces sole maximizes power transfer, and the optimal stiffness allows users to ride faster and longer, using less energy.
You can find an insole inside your shoes that serves to increase comfort and distribute the load.
However, if the old ones are worn out or no longer suit you, you can always buy new insoles.
- Provides ventilation and cool your feet with ease
- Perfect for indoor cycling, touring, commuting, and mountain biking
- If the shoe doesn’t fit, you can replace them free
- Provide comfort and security while riding
- Don’t work with Peloton bike or Look Delta
It’s tough enough to cover base kilometers and also suppresses road noise.
The Montagna 100 is perfect for indoor cycling, commuting, mountain biking, and touring.
Even a beginner mountain biker can buy these shoes because their price is $84.95, which is quite reasonable.
4. Lake Cycling MXZ303 Men's Winter Boot - Vibram Outsole - Thermosol Composite Insulated
A good option for those traveling in the coldest conditions.
Lake Cycling MXZ303Crafted from a combination of leather, 3M Thinsulate lining and Thermosol composite insole, these boots from Lake are built with ultimate protection in mind.
They are boa-tightened and buckled in place, both of which hold full-coverage leather flaps over your foot to keep out elements.
Don’t expect them to be lightweight, breathable, or aerodynamic, but expect them to have toasted toes no matter the weather.
- Dimensions: 13 x 5 x 14 inches; 2.8 Pounds
- Pittards WR100 leather
- Thermosol composite insulation insole
- 3M Thinsulate lining in the toe box
They are compatible with dual-hole cleats, making them suitable for those who ride mountain bike style cleats, and they also have a reinforced Vibram outsole for maximum traction if you need to bike on snow.
They even have reflective details so you can be seen on the road.
- Comfortable and Two-hole cleat compatibility
- Easy for walking
- keep you warmer for longer.
- Heavy in weight
- Not suitable for summer
The sole is flexible and soft. You can comfortably walk in them, but they are not too loose to cause and issue pedaling.
They come in the expensive shoe category.
The price is $229.99, but comfort is guaranteed.
5. Fizik R5 Artica Shoes
Sandwiched between the Microtex outer shell and the plush fleece inner lining is a fully waterproof membrane that keeps out the rain but also lets your feet breathe. There is also a layer of insulation foil so that the cold does not penetrate into the shoes without much volume. It is the best option for the rainy season and winter.
- Dimensions: 14 x 12 x 6 inches; 13.28 Ounces
- Microtel reinforced shell
- Carbon composite outsole
- insulating aluminum foil underside
Underneath the waterproof zip is a speedy lace system that snaps and distributes pressure evenly throughout the foot. Neoprene upper with high ankle cuff and Velcro closure helps to keep the rain out.
- Easy to clean
- Stiff and light for maximum power transfer
- A breathable Membrane maximizes airflow
- Not suitable for a wide foot
- You cannot use them in summer
It’s winter and raining cycling shoe with a carbon composite outsole, although not “stiff” like carbon plates.
It’s tough enough to cover base kilometers and suppresses noise.
This product’s price range is between $152.58 – $237.94, which is a little bit expensive, but they are long-lasting. Invest once and use for a long period of time.
Let's Sum Up
Specialized Sport MTB Shoes are often the most underestimated component of equipment, but, meanwhile, it is they who act as an intermediary between human power and a bicycle.
An expensive bicycle frame or wheels will not bring you as much efficiency as cleverly selected boots.
Consider the Top 5 Specialized Sport MTB Shoes we have selected for you and choose the one according to your needs and preferences.